According to the renowned Mercer’s annual “Quality of Living Ranking”, in 2018 Athens and Limassol are in the Top 100 Best Cities to live in. It is no surprise, since both cities feature a superb climate, support a healthy lifestyle and offer an active cultural environment.
For the purpose of the research, many different parameters were taken into account, such as
- Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc.)
- Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services)
- Socio-cultural environment (media availability and censorship, limitations on personal freedom)
- Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc.)
- Schools and education (standards and availability of international schools)
- Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transportation, traffic congestion, etc.)
- Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc.)
- Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc.)
- Housing (rental housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services)
- Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters).
Athens ranked 86th, standing before cities such as Riga, Shanghai, Tel Aviv, Doha: with its 4 million inhabitants, it represents the biggest city in Greece. Thanks to a favourable location, the Greek capital a sunny climate with mild winters and hot summers, making life comfortable all year round, with a beautiful seaside extending for kilometres towards the south of the Attica region. Healthcare quality is very high, as well as education standards: this combination depicts an ideal environment for any family member’s needs. Limassol ranked 87th, together with Tallinn. It is the second largest city of Cyprus, the principal sea port of the island and a major international business hub. The beauty of the old town, the ancient historic sites around the city (e.g. the Sanctuary of Apollo near Kourion) and the active nightlife make Limassol a very pleasant place to live and invest in.